20/03/2012

Try Smiling for once

Woke up this morning, sunlight pouring into my room, day off from work...good times.
First thing I thought was 'today would be good for longboarding' so wash, dress, dig out two pairs of gardening gloves and wear both pairs (grit on a road can be a thousand demons to the unprotected palm)and roll round the corner to the short hill next to my house.

Now I'm not that proficient on my longboard, I mainly use it for cruising around when I find an empty road, but this video makes me wanna learn how to slide so that was my mission today!
With Vetiver (the band who sing The Swimming Song in the video) in my ears, the sun on my face when strolling up the hill and on my back like a tarmac Pirate whilst rolling down it I was having a lovely if tiring time (learning to slide is hard on the dragging arm!). At one point while slowly pushing up the hill to my takeoff point, some old guy in a big 4x4 slowed right down behind me, made no indication he was there (i had headphones on but would have heard a beep) and just drove really slowly. Now I wasn't even in the middle of the road but was skating a few inches away from a parked car when i realised he was driving about a foot away from me, I eased my board towards the kerb and out of his way but he slowed down to a crawl and scowled at me, he looked like he wanted to stop until i gave him a big friendly cheshire grin and waved at him, which is my usual response to someone staring at me (try it, they either smile back or stop staring, works every time)...he just shook his head and drove off.

Now this shouldnt piss me off, but it was obvious I was out skating on my own doing something i find fun so why tell me off for that, I didnt hinder his travel at all, I wasnt doing damage to anything or being anti social, yet he deemed it necessary to visually scold me...I don't understand miserable people who just want other people to be miserable! a simple head out the window and a 's'cuse me' would be fine. I have a feeling he's gonna go share this story with others, about how he had to slow down his massive car for about 15 seconds even though he had tons of room to get past me, but he just had this need to tell me off, and I'm sure the people he tells will agree with him that these skateboarding menaces must be stopped and they'll join him in his miserable outlook and the misery will spread till it comes back full circle to find me on a sunny day while I'm out listening to good tunes and having fun!

Please, to combat this flux of misery, smile at someone today, not a big toothy silly grin if you don't want, just a nice smile for someone who isn't, it works wonders and is much better than scowling and shaking your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment